Protocol is a quarterly publication featuring columns and articles of interest to professionals in the entertainment technology industry on business and technical topics, current standards issues, certification developments, and trade shows. Since its inception in 1994, Protocol has grown to become the leading source of information for businesses in the field of entertainment technology.
Between its covers you will find a variety of articles on topics ranging from:
- Business - marketing, insurance, information technologies, accounting, legal issues, and money-saving techniques specific to operating a business in the entertainment technology industry
- Technology - articles encompassing new technologies and the proper use of existing technologies
- Industry Developments - track the progress being made in Technical Standards, Certification, and Technical Education
- News - watch Protocol for information on upcoming trade shows and events, awards, and membership benefits
This edition’s highlights include:
• Anna Glover, Safety Risk Manager at the UK’s Royal National Theatre, addresses the “The Changing Face of Safety”
• Dawn Chiang, Theatre Projects Consultants, shares her insights about “Working in China”
• Keith Bohn, Production and Rigging Resources, details the new Technical Standards Program’s ANSI E1.39-2015 – Entertainment Technology – Selection and Use of Personal Fall Arrest Systems on Portable Structures Used in the Entertainment Industry with everything the reader needs to know
• Read Part 2 of the article on consulting in the entertainment technology industry with Protocol’s Q&A featuring a cross-section of respected industry consultants
• Mike Wood’s “Out of the Wood” column tackles “How do LEDs work? Slice of lime with that?”
• Rich Wolpert explores recently discovered industry tools in his “Tech Tips” column: “From the Simple to the Complex at Stage Expo”
• “Shadow, Light, and Truth” by Richard Cadena addresses: “SMPSs and Power Factor Correction”
• In this installment of ETCP News, Stephen Dilts of Pyramid Staging shares his perspective on the value of certification and keeping your technical skills current
• Karl Ruling reports from Frankfurt’s Prolight + Sound
• Richard Cadena hits the highlights from PLASA Focus: Orlando’s show floor and informative professional development program
• Read about interesting products at the busy USITT Stage Expo that caught Karl Ruling’s eye
• “BizQuestions” with David Schraffenberger covers your questions and concerns about running your business—have a question? Email David at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bill Groener’s “Soft Sell” column offers insightful thoughts about improving your sales skills
• Technical Standards Program News updates the busy progress of PLASA’s TSP program
• In the Production Equipment Rental Group News, Harry Box shares the PLASA Rental Guard program designed to fight fraud and theft
• PLASA Foundation News highlights Behind the Scenes initiatives in both NA and the UK—and a recent $50,000 donation!
• NA and EU Directions columns from your regional chairs
• New PLASA Members
And much more!
To access any past edition of Protocol, simply click on the current issue's cover at right and then click on the "Archive" tab on the left side of the digital edition to access past issues.
PLASA is interested in your feedback. If you have opinions about Protocol, ideas for articles, or a Letter To the Editor, drop Beverly Inglesby, Protocol's editor, a line at