Protocol is a quarterly publication featuring columns and articles of interest to professionals in the entertainment technology industry on business and technical topics, current standards issues, certification developments, and trade shows. Since its inception in 1994, Protocol has grown to become the leading source of information for businesses in the field of entertainment technology.
Between its covers you will find a variety of articles on topics ranging from:
- Business - marketing, insurance, information technologies, accounting, legal issues, and money-saving techniques specific to operating a business in the entertainment technology industry
- Technology - articles encompassing new technologies and the proper use of existing technologies
- Industry Developments - track the progress being made in Technical Standards, Certification, and Technical Education
- News - watch Protocol for information on upcoming trade shows and events, awards, and membership benefits
This edition’s highlights include:
• The Technical Standards Program turns 20—read how the commitment of endless volunteers to create standards has benefitted our industry
• Miriam Paschetto with Geiger Engineers shares a thought-provoking report about how soft goods behave under wind loading and the demands put on the supporting structure(s)
• Richard Cadena provides readers with “A Practical Guide to RDM”
• Neil Junega writes a timely article on Intellectual Property infringement protection in the US—a must read!
• Mike Wood explains a new standard in development in “Making the Same Color Twice—A Proposed PLASA Standard for Color Communication” in his “Out of the Wood” column—read the column and share your perspective with Mike on E1.54 for our industry
• “Behind the Curtain” returns with Josh Weisberg exploring “4K: Debating the Resolution Question”
• “BizQuestions” features David Schraffenberger interviewing Tom Stimson about project management as a teaser to the PLASA Business Resources Group discussion ahead at LDI
• “Shadow, Light, and Truth” by Richard Cadena presents an overview of all of the parts of a video system used in concert production—including cameras, media servers, video switchers, projectors, LED displays, etc.
• Bill Groener’s “Soft Sell” column reminds readers to sell the value of your product or service to help your customer move away from price as the deciding factor
• Rich Wolpert’s “Tech Tips” column covers tools for first-aid and injuries
• ETCP News updates readers on certification in “We Care and So Should You”
• Michele Enright provides an overview of the EU National Rigging Certificate and National Rigging Advisory Group (NRAG)
• Part 2 of the “History Project” column continues the journey of 85 years of Union Connector
• Phil Tickle with Above Ltd. highlights the presentations at the PLASA Rigging Conference
• David Barbour reports on the PLASA Awards for Innovation from the show floor at PLASA London
• View the “Standards on the Stage” presented at LDI in the PLASA booth—and plan your show schedule to learn about standards and other TSP and PLASA projects
• Read descriptions of the early entrants in PLASA’s Members’ Choice Product Awards—to be voted on by members during LDI
• Check out the Technical Standards Program sessions and updates available during LDI—many of which offer ETCP renewal credits
• Technical Standards Program News from Karl Ruling
• Production Equipment Rental Group News with Harry Box discusses the growth of the PLASA Fraud and Theft Alert System—and safety net it provides participating members
• The PLASA Foundation News updates readers about Behind the Scenes programs
• NA and EU Directions columns from your regional chairs
• PLASA Member benefits update
• New PLASA Members
And much more!
To access any past edition of Protocol, simply click on the current issue's cover at right and then click on the "Archive" tab on the left side of the digital edition to access past issues.
PLASA is interested in your feedback. If you have opinions about Protocol, ideas for articles, or a Letter To the Editor, drop Beverly Inglesby, Protocol's editor, a line at
Protocol is also available for Android!
Protocol is now on the iPhone and iPad!
Click here to get it on GooglePlay.
|Read Protocol Online
|Advertise in Protocol
|Like us on Facebook